The holidays are here and full of indulgent treats and rich food. Rather than overindulging and feeling guilty, try out some of these healthy swaps for your favorite comfort foods, snacks, and desserts. Below are a few recipes that I really enjoyed, but check out my Pinterest board for more healthy holiday recipes from savory to sweet holiday meals
Pumpkin pie Bars
- 2 cups coconut flour, sifted
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 10 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 30 oz. cooked pureed pumpkin (or 2 15 ounce cans)
- 16 oz full fat coconut milk (simmered for 20 minutes prior to condense it a little bit, if you desire a thicker pie filling- more like traditional pumpkin pie. I often skip that step)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup honey (or a little more or less, to taste–you can mix all ingredients except the eggs, and taste the batter to see if it is sweet enough for you. Then add the eggs, mix well, and go from there)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine coconut flour, shredded coconut, eggs, honey and 1 teaspoon salt. Add melted coconut oil and mix well. Press evenly into the bottom of a 9/13” stoneware bar pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While coconut crust is baking, combine remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk till smooth. Spread over crust and bake 30-35 minutes or more, until filling is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool at room temperature. Cut into squares. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Cranberry-Orange Pecan Date Truffles (makes 2 dozen)
- 2/3 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup dried apple juice sweetened cranberries
- 2- 3 tsp orange zest depending on how strong you want the orange flavor
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate and, or white chocolate chips/small chunks (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- Place all ingredients except the chocolate chips in the food processor and blend until sticky dough forms. Add in the chocolate chips, and scoop them into truffle size balls.Roll them in coconut or pecan pieces for a finishing touch and enjoy!