Erectile Dysfunction, sometimes called ‘impotence’, is the repeated inability to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. The word ‘impotence’ may also be used to describe other problems that interfere with sexual intercourse and reproduction, such as lack of sexual desire and problems with ejaculation or orgasm. Using the term erectile dysfunction makes it clear that those other problems are not involved. Damage to nerves, arteries, smooth muscles, and fibrous tissues, often as a result of a disease, is the most common cause of erectile penile dysfunction. Diseases such as diabetes, kidney disease, chronic alcoholism, multiple sclerosis, atherosclerosis, vascular disease, and neurologic disease, account for about 70 percent of erectile dysfunction cases. Between 35 and 50 percent of men with diabetes, experience erectile dysfunction.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
Erectile dysfunction is characterized by the regular or repeated inability to obtain or maintain an erection. It is analyzed in several ways:
- Obtaining full erections at some times, such as nocturnal penile tumescence when asleep (when the mind and psychological issues, if any, are less present), tends to suggest that the physical structures are functionally working.
- Other factors leading to erectile dysfunction are diabetes mellitus (causing neuropathy).
In addition to the well-known medications such as Viagra and Cialis, there are other treatments available that get at the root cause of your ED:
- Low Intensity Shock Wave Therapy, which uses low-intensity waves to stimulate cell growth in the penis
- Hormone replacement therapy to restore testosterone and other hormones to improve sexual performance
- Intracorporeal Pharmacotherapy is a technique in which we inject medication directly into the erectile bodies to assess your ability to achieve a satisfactory erection
- PRP Injections into the erectile tissue of the penis improve blood flow and function and often are more effective when combined with Low Intensity Shock Wave therapy.
- Want to make your penis larger? We have effective options to help you achieve your goals.